In this episode, Kate is talking about all things shortbread: where it comes from, the basic technique involved in making it at home and the myriad options when it comes to flavour.
A lot of these recipes were found via the wonderful baking podcast Preheated, which ended recently. Thank you to Andrea and Stefin for bringing so much joy into my life, despite never having met you.
Nigella Lawson’s Parmesan Shortbread: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/parmesan_shortbreads_86971/amp
Diane Henry’s Cheddar and Hazelnut Shortbread: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cheddar-hazelnut-shortbread
Ruby Tandoh’s Tahini and Lemon Biscuits: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/guests/ruby-tandohs-tahini-lemon-biscuits
Just One Cookbook’s Black Sesame Cookies: https://www.justonecookbook.com/sesame-cookies/
Oleander + Palm’s London Fog Shortbread: http://oleanderandpalm.com/2012/08/london-fog-shortbread.html
Kate’s Suggested Recipes
Cocoa and Cardamom Shortbread
- Mix 260g plain flour, 1/2 tsp ground green cardamom and 40g good cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Add 200g cold cubed butter (salted by preference) to the bowl. Rub in using your fingertips, a food processor or a pastry blender.
- Stir in 100g sugar. Press into a lined ovenproof dish around 15cm x 10cm to achieve around 1cm thickness.
- Bake in a preheated oven at gas 5 / 190C / 170 fan for around 15-20 minutes until it starts to change colour slightly.
- Run a knife through the shortbread fresh out of the oven to make squares and leave to cool in the tin until barely warm, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
London Fog Shortbread (adapted from Oleander + Palm)
- Prepare 2 tablespoons/ 12g of earl grey tea leaves to create a fine consistency, perhaps using a pestle and mortar and picking out any “twiggy” bits, if necessary.
- Mix this with 300g plain/ all purpose flour.
- Add 200g cold cubed butter (salted by preference) to the bowl. Rub in. Stir in 85g icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste or extract. (You may need to sieve the sugar to avoid lumps.)
- Press into a lined ovenproof dish to achieve a 1cm thickness. Bake at gas 5/ 190C / 170 fan for 15-20 minutes until starting to turn golden. Score with a knife as soon as it is out of the oven to make squares. Leave in the dish to cool until barely warm, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.